Sunday 14 October 2012

Book Review: Children of Liberty


For fans of Paullina Simon's work, in particular her Bronze Horseman ( AKA TBH) series, Children of Liberty, her latest book was both to be excited and nervous about.

Since this can be thought of as a prequel to TBH series, many already knew how the story of Jane and Harold Barrington ended, but not the "beginning" and "middle" parts of their story. I would say that Children of Liberty is  the start of their story. It didn't ruin the book for me, but I thought when Paullina Simons first announced she would be writing this book that would be more about  their actual life together and not as much about how they met. I believe there is still plenty of their story left to be told.  Since I have finished reading Children of Liberty, Paullina has mentioned in an interview (she’s doing a press tour now) that she is in the process writing another book about the "middle" of their story. So, I'm game!

Having said all that, the "beginning" is pretty good. It has the classic Paullina Simon’s slow build up and burn. I got more invested and engrossed  in the story and characters the further I read. The longing and the denial of feelings and what is expected of one, the culture and class clashes, old school thoughts and traditions during and start of a new century and the industrial revolution, which brought new opportunities to the world.   Both Harry and Gina rebel in this respect, hence the title Children of Liberty.  

That's another interesting aspect of the story. How Gina Anttaviano, an Italian immigrant coming to America becomes Jane Barrington.  How Harry Barrington, whose decedents arrived years before to America on the Mayflower and one of the wealthiest families in Boston becomes Harold Barrington. A couple that moves to Russia years later after the revolution in  the fervent belief of a new way of life. Sadly, their optimism also becomes their downfall.

As someone who read The Bronze Horseman series it was interesting and fun to see how characteristics from both mother and father are late seen  in their son, Alexander Barrington/Belov.  Harry/Harold’s practicality, sense of reason and business smarts, mixed with Gina/Jane’s feisty and passionate nature and “go get ‘em!” attitude.

One minor complaint I have about this book is all the dialogue and passages about politics and economics. I see Paullina's background as a financial journalist and political science major really coming through here. Even more so than in her other books. I understand with the era that the novel takes place in, and we know later on how politically involved both Harold and Jane become, the importance of showing the beginnings of this mindset and way of life they decide later on is needed. I don’t mean that she should have cut it all out, and it could just be me, but I thought a few times the conversations and passages with economic and political discussions brought the pace of the narrative down and I would have liked more scenes with Gina and Harry just being Gina and Harry- young and discovering their love for one another.  

There is beautiful writing (as expected by Mrs. Simons) that just rolls off the tongue like poetry. One particular passage that stuck out for me:

"Love is the strongest and deepest element in all life. The harbinger of hope, of ecstasy, the defier of all laws, of all conventions. Man has conquered nations, but all his armies could not conquer love. Man has subdued bodies, chained the spirit but he has been utterly helpless before love. High on a throne, yet he will remain poor and desolate if love passes him by. Love, ladies and gentleman, has the power to make out a beggar a king."

I don’t know about you, but that passage just sends shivers down my spine.

If you are fan of Paullina Simons work or want a good story of two people coming together and finding love, this is for you. 

So now I wait for the second and more heartbreaking part of Jane and Harold Barrington’s story. 


1 comment:

  1. aiman beautifully written review. I agree with everything that you have said about Children of Liberty. I was bored by all the political talk I was thinking enough already.

    I wanted to see more of the romance and the reactions from her family, the rest of his family, Ben and Alice.

    I did love how the love story evolved from Gina being a young girl into a sexy, passionate woman. Harry I love laid back men but he had a strong character but he did such a terrible thing to Alice that is unforgivable.

    I hope the next book isn't full of Russian politics I want the story of 'them' with some other stuff thrown in.

    All in all the book was disappointing but if it was a stand alone book with no expectations what would my judgement be? I don't know!

    ReplyDelete