Sunday 29 July 2012

Toronto International Film Festival


I’m so excited, I just have to share!

I will be volunteering for the first time at the TIFF 2012, September 6 to 16th.  Th is something I have wanted to do for years, on top of being a patron. TIFF= Toronto International Film Festival and it was founded in 1976 and continues to grow each year. It is now the second largest film festival in the world, next to Cannes, and the largest in North America. Many films that have shown here have also gone on to critical acclaim and of course, award season success.

I don’t know what I will be doing yet, but I don’t care. I’ll rip tickets and get popcorn if need be, anything to be a part of it.

Some recent films that have been shown at TIFF in the past (be it a world or North American premiere) are:
The King’s Speech, Shame, Slumdog Millionaire, Water, The Big Chill, Chariots of Fire, Black Swan, Sideways, Crash, 127 Hours, The Fisher King, The Princess Bride, American Beauty, Whale Rider, Life is Beautiful.  And more have all been shown at the festival.

The headquarters, known as the TIFF Bell Lightbox (which I have visited for exhibits and films a few times), are in the heart of downtown Toronto, with venues throughout the city during the festival.  One of the points of difference of TIFF that has been noticed by those in the industry and festival goers is that there is a small, intimate feel and connection between everyone during the festival, despite the largeness of it.  It is a film lovers festival.

Here is a link to the website! http://tiff.net/

So what’s in store for TIFF 2012?  Some of the films already announced, with more to come.
The film opening the festival this year is Looper, one of the few times a non Canadian film has opened the festival.

As well as Anna Karenina, Cloud Atlas, Midnight’s Children (a close friend of mine actually worked on this film, and based on Salman Rushdie’s book of the same name). Byzantium, No, Rust and Bone.

Of course, I will blog later about my experience working the festival. Who knows what could happen. I’m so pumped! Better get my sleep now. 

The TIFF Bell Lightbox





1 comment:

  1. I'm so thrilled for you, Paim! As a movie lover myself I understand completely how exciting this is. Who knows who you might meet or what opportunities might come your way from this. So awesome! I can't wait to hear all about it. It will be here before you know it. :D

    ReplyDelete