Sunday 17 June 2012

Famous Fathers In Cinema


 I did write a blog  for Mother’s day, so it’s only fair I do a write up for some of my favourite father’s in cinema.  Feel free to add any of yours.


Mufasa  (voiced by James Earl Jones)  in The Lion King





This has to be the equivalent of Bambi’s mother’s death. The injustice and sadness still gets to me when I watch this scene, and especially Simba’s reaction and belief that he is responsible for his father’s death. I can't even post that scene. Some heavy stuff for a children’s film. Damn you Scar!


Darth Vader ( voiced by James Earl Jones, played by David Prowse) in Star Wars



Parents may not always like the choices their children make, but the same goes for children not always liking the choices their parents make. One of the biggest lessons a child learns is that their father (or mother) is not perfect or even a hero. Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia learned this the hard way.


Daniel Hillard/Mrs Doubtfire (Robin Williams) in Mrs. Doubtfire





Divorces are known to be difficult for everyone involved, and we all cope differently. Parents do what they can to make sure they see their children as much as possible.  I wonder how these children would look back on this particular attempt.


P.S. Mrs. Doubtfire was the first VHS movie my sisters and I owned with our new VHS player. As a gift from my father. 


Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) in To Kill a Mockingbird




One of the greatest lessons a parent can teach their children is to be courageous and fight with conviction for what is right, with dignity and strength.  Atticus Finch did this all while being a gentleman and gaining the respect of the community in a powerful and poignant way. I challenge anyone not to like Atticus Finch. 


George Banks (Steve Martin) in Father of the Bride



“You don’t worry about your daughter meeting the wrong guy; you worry about her meeting the right guy.” These are the words said by George Banks about being a father, in particular the father of a daughter. The film explores the ups and downs of giving your daughter away on the special day through the father's eyes. 



Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) in The Shining



Fathers are hard working. They work hard and do what they need to do in order to take care of their family. Sometimes this makes them go a little crazy...HEERREE'SSS DADDY! 




Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) in The Godfather



Fathers are protective, intense and at times can be downright intimidating. As The Godfather harshly says "Because a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man." Don’t mess with this big papa. 



Happy Father's Day!! 

1 comment:

  1. Great choices Paim really great ones - On the weekend I watched The Lion King 1 and 2 with my grandchildren that scene you mention is heartbreaking and every time we watch it together Brayden always asks ' is always going to be dead forever?

    Now my favourite book and one of my favourite movies To Kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch is my hero.

    HEERREE'SSS DADDY! LOL Loved this movie.

    ReplyDelete