Sunday 24 June 2012

The Power of Film


I read “Glorious Nostalgia: 10 Movies That Made Us Yearn  For Another Time” the other day, and it pretty much  sums up one of the elements of film (theatre and books as well) that I love; the power to transform you to a different time and place in history, at least for a couple hours at a time.

Here is a link to the article. I'm also proud that there are only two on the list I have not yet seen. 

Despite my interest in history, I’m too much of a modern girl and I love my indoor plumbing and electricity (I’m a slave to my flat iron) to spend more than a day in Victorian England or the wild Western Frontier, even the height of Tsar ruled Russia and King Louis reign (doesn’t matter which one,) so films help me live vicariously.

Actually, a day might be pushing it.

Yes, I’m fully aware that more often than not, historical accuracy is an issue when it comes to how history and other cultures are depicted in film, etc. But that is not the point I’m trying to make.

The power of film is to transport us to some representation of another time and place, to be engaged and hopefully care in the characters and the story being told about them. To learn something about the world we live in, humanity, and maybe even our own individual selves and our place in the world.

One of my earliest memories of when it comes to movies (if not the earliest) and  that power to take hold and transport a person through film, is Death Becomes Her, (Robert Zemeckis, 1992) it was not just watching Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn fight over Bruce Willis. It was the funny dialogue and the lush mansions in California, the glitzy clothes, and of course the performances. I was seven years old and in grade two. 

It was the first of many times I was transported to another life and place by cinema.

So here is a list (I'm sure there are some missing) of some of my own favourite films to add to Cinemablend.com’s list, that help me transport to a different time and place.

What are some of yours?

 A Bo De Souffle (Breathless)



Last of the Mohicans


Legends of the Fall


Elizabeth


Dr. Zhivago

Rob Roy

In the Name of the Father

81/2

Memoirs of a Geisha

Breakfast at Tiffany’s


Trainspotting


Y Tu Mama Tambien (And Your Mother Too)

Curse of the Golden Flower

Moulin Rouge


Vicky Christina Barcelona



Jane Eyre


So go transport yourself! 

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about people's films that they love. I am happy to say that I have seen all the films bar one - Clue. I must remedy that.

    Well my films - isn't it hard to think of what you love most of all when you love films like we do.

    I'll start with what is on your list and on my list.

    Last of the Mohicans - that story is just so sexy.
    Moulin Rouge - this is such a wonderful manic film along with Baz's Romeo and Juliet - enjoyed them both so much.
    Elizabeth - love Cate

    Firstly, I have to say that I love anything that Russell Crowe is in so that is a list unto itself.

    Behind the Sun - movie from Brazil with the beautiful Rodrigo Santoro
    Adaptation
    Matchstick Men
    Minority Report
    Payback
    The Town
    Benny and Joon
    Breach
    Children of Men
    Titanic
    Dogfight
    Terminator 1&2
    No Way Out
    Red Rock West

    I will stop there because I have dozens more - I would love to include some Alfred Hitchcock we well.

    ReplyDelete